Return to SnapStone.com

basement with water
  • We are adding a basement bathroom and have gotten as far as the plumbing and framing with the shower surround in.
    The plan was to install Snaptone over our cement floor. We felt the application was a perfect fit. In May 2014, we started getting monsoon style rains for days on end and now we have had a wet basement in areas for 6 weeks not only making me question our bathroom in the basement idea, but the Snaptone porcelain tile sitting in the garage. The water is coming in at the floor level and is about 1/8" deep. We have a sump and gutters and downspouts are cleared of debris.
    Is the matrix on the back of the tile enough to ensure that water from occasional wet springs will not damage the floor or should we re-think our flooring choice altogether? I really love the idea of the floating Snapstone floor and we would have to bring it back for a refund, but was hoping to use it. Is there anything that could go under the snapstone to help mitigate possible future water? I need help as I do not want to make a costly mistake thanks!
  • I'm sorry you are experiencing water in your basement. There are a couple of things to consider when dealing with water in a basement:

1. Unfortunately, there is no flooring product (carpet, linoleum, traditionally installed tile, rugs, etc.) that will solve basement water issues. There are companies that address basement water-proofing and you may want to talk with them. But, a flooring product (whether it's ours or anybody else's) cannot solve water coming into a basement.

2. Any other type of flooring product will be ruined if you have water like this in your basement again, and will need to be thrown away. You will have lost your flooring investment and would have to replace.

3. With SnapStone, if you had this type of a water issue again, you would lose your installed grout, but the tiles would be re-useable. With SnapStone, you can disassemble the floor (we recommend numbering or marking them as you disassemble so that they can be reassembled in the proper order.) Then, stand the tiles on their sides to drain and dry. After doing the necessary water removal and clean-up, your SnapStone tiles can be reassembled and re-grouted.

Again, I'm sorry you are dealing with water in your basement. I hope this gives you some good information in your considerations.