Return to SnapStone.com

Grout cracking /falling out
  • Hi we put the SnapStone in our kitchen about 6 months ago and grouted it with the mushroom grout. Yesterday my daughter dropped a heavy glass just right when she was doing the dishes. When I got down to look at the chip I noticed that the grout all around the kitchen was separating from many of the tiles and in places pieces were broke to the point that I could pull it out. Now I know that your system said there was no need to prep the floor because the system floats but the home is old and the 1 x 6 angle laid Tung and groove was good but I wanted to make the finished floor the same height as the hardwood around it so I added a 1\4 “ underlayment over the planking. I don’t understand why this is happening because the floor does not flex any wares close to the 1\2” the system can handle. Did I get a bad batch of grout from Lowes? I’m no professional when it comes to tiling but I have done this many times with traditional tile flooring and walls and have never had this happen before. Please advise me to what I can do to fix this without costing me to much more than I have already spent (not a cheep project by any stretch). I can send Pictures if when requested as I see that there were a few similar discussions on the subject. Also I noticed that the Lowes around me no longer sells the product anymore (I live in CT 06403) Thank you Rich M.
  • We're sorry to hear that this is happening. There are many reasons that cause grout cracking and/or separation, such as a subfloor that exceeds the tolerance (flatness) requirement, deflection, over-washing the grout at the time of installation, and others, so pictures would be very helpful in diagnosing the cause. Please send some close-up shots and a room shot to info@snapstone.net and include your contact information. A member of technical services will review your pics and contact you with a solution. Thank you.
  • Having similar problem as slipknot on September 2014. My kitchen floor was installed by a contractor the summer of 2014. Had to have 60sf replaced by a different installer who releveled that area. I still have grout coming loose. Is it acceptable to fasten a small area, lets say at a 4 corner, down to the subfloor with a screw? I have pictures I can send if required.
  • We're sorry to hear you have grout coming loose. There could be a couple of things going on here. Depending on an individuals floor, prep work may or may not be needed before installing SnapStone. There is a tolerance (flatness) specification that must be met and our recommendation is to take a straight edge to the sub floor to identify any high or low spots that exceed the spec. If there are areas that exceed the spec, then yes, prep work is required to bring the subfloor into spec before installing SnapStone. High spots will need to be sanded and low spots filled with a cement patching compound. If SnapStone is installed over areas that are out of tolerance, than grout crumbling and grout coming out of the joint is the most common symptom. In other words, if the first contractor didn't do this step, then that may be part of the explanation. How did the second contractor try to re-level the area? Did he take up tiles? How many? How did he replace the tiles? Did he glue them in? Let's start with some pictures, a couple area shots and a couple of room shots, and send them to info@snapstone.net--please include your contact info, including a phone number. We'll have a member of our technical services department look at the pictures and, in addition to the info you have already provided, they will want to call you to get more information and make a recommendation. Thank you.
  • Installed snapstone in my bathroom about 3 years ago. Still looks great and have no issues with grout falling out. However, lately I have noticed hairline separation of the grout from the edge of the tile, like the grout is shrinking. Is this normal with age or is there anything I can do to keep it from getting worse? I do not use any chemical cleaners on the floor, only wiping it down with a wet rag. Any information you could give me would be appreciated.
  • Grout separation is usually a result of tile movement over a high spot in the sub floor. There are a couple of options: if it's not very noticeable and you don't want to perform repairs, it won't hurt anything to let it be. After 3 years, it's separated as far as it is going to. If you want to try touching up the grout lines by removing about 1/8" of grout from the depth of the grout line and add more grout, it will adhere to itself. The complete instructions and video of this process is on our website. That might address it but, if it is due to movement, it may separate again. The final suggestion would be to remove the attached tiles and check the subfloor underneath for any obvious repairs. Then glue the replacement tile in place, following the tile replacement instructions on our website. The glued-in tile will no longer rock over the high spot, eliminating the grout separating from the edge of the tile. Give us a call if you have any questions on any of these procedures at 877-263-5861. Thank you!
  • We installed Snapstone in our kitchen about two years ago. It looked great at first, but then we had significant issues with the grout. When installed, the contractor said the sub floor was level. After approximately 6 months, the grout started separating from the tile and coming out in chunks in some places. It's now been two years and the grout around almost every tile has separated from the tile and/or cracked. We purchased the flooring at Lowes who advised to call the manufacturer as they had no solution. They said the grout is flexible and this was a floating floor so we should not be having these issues. They thought there may have been a defect with the grout. The floor looks awful and a repair would require replacing most of the tiles in a 15x20 area. At this point we have no choice but to rip out the entire floor and replace it with something else.
  • We're sorry to hear to about this. This is symptomatic of tiles teetering on an uneven sub floor. This movement separates the tile from the grout. Once separated, the rocking motion pushes the grout out of the grout line. The contractor is responsible for installing the product according to specs and instructions. A level floor is not necessarily a flat floor. As part of our instructions, the sub floor should be checked with a straight edge to identify high or low spots that exceed our specs. Corrections are to be made to the sub floor before installation. We recommend you contact your contractor. The floor can be disassembled, corrections made to the sub floor, and then reinstalled. Please call us at 877-263-5861 if you have any questions. Thank you.