Return to SnapStone.com

flooding
  • My basement is dry and we don't have any persistent water problems. However, when we get those big 100 year rains that seem to happen every year the water table rises and my sump pump runs non-stop to keep up. If the power goes out during these storms I'll flood. Fortunately we have only lost power once, but I am looking for a flooring product that will be ok if it happens again. Do I have to pull up the snap stone flooring if the basement floods and re-grout? I'm planning to install directly over the concrete floor so there will be no wood sub-floor.

Thanks
  • This is a good question. A flood will not damage the SnapStone tile (stone + plastic tray), but water will get trapped under the floor and, if not addressed, will eventually mold and mildew. We recommend removing the floor so that air can get to the concrete and dry out. We recommend removing the tiles and somehow numbering or marking them in the order they were removed so that when you reinstall, they will be identified and installed in the order they were removed. We have a tile removal process and the instructions and video of the process are on our website. To remove an entire floor, remove one tile in the corner, then you can fold entire rows at a time to disengage from the rest of the floor, and then disengage the individual tiles of that row, one at a time and set aside. You will want to stand the tiles on their sides so that any water that accumulated around the tiles in the trays can run out of the trays. After your basement has completely dried, you can reinstall your SnapStone floor and re-grout. One thing to keep in mind when installing SnapStone over cement: make sure your cement floor is flat and meets the tolerance (flatness) requirements before installation. Poured cement frequently has humps and bumps and if these exceed the tolerance requirement, the high spots will need to be ground down and the low spots filled with a cement patching compound. Please let us know if we can help with anything else. Thank you.