Return to SnapStone.com

Warm Tiles Easy Heat system under SnapStone
  • I want to install the Warm Tiles Easy Heat system under Snapstone. I will put a layer of 1/2" plywood over the subfloor. Should I router grooves in the plywood for the heating cable or would it be better to cover the heating cable with thinset? Would there be any problem with just putting the Snapstone over the heating cables?

• The Easy Heat system has two heated underlayment products: the pad and the Elite film. Both should be set in a mortar according to the manufacturer's instructions. The finished surface of the mortar bed should meet tolerance (flatness) requirements of:

For tile with all edges shorter than 15", maximum allowable variation is 1/4" in 10' from the required plane, with no more than 1/16" variation in 12" when measured from the high points in the surface. For tiles with at least one edge 15" in length, maximum allowable variation is 1/8" in 10' from the required plane, with no more than 1/16" variation in 24" when measured from the high points in the surface, as indicated by the Tile Council of North America (TCNA) Handbook.

A 6’-8’ flat edge should be laid on the floor surface, starting at the end of the room and working across the entire floor surface. High spots need to be sanded and low spots filled with a cement patching compound.

The connectors need to under or flush with the flat surface so it may require some kind of notching or groove to allow the connectors to sit well underneath the mortar bed surface.

Please give us a call toll free at 877-263-5861 if you need clarification or if you have any other questions. Thank you.
  • The Warm Tiles
    easy Heat system I am using just has a heating cable(wire) that gets fastened down with some plastic straps as it is laid out on the floor. So back to my original question: can I just lay the heating cable on the plywood under the SnapStone or do I ned to cover it with thinset or some other mortar. Could I router some grooves in the plywood to lay the wire in?
  • No, you cannot lay the heating cable on the plywood and install SnapStone over it. You need to install the cable in a mortar bed. Check with the manufacturer to ensure thinset is approved by the manufacturer. Thank you.