Return to SnapStone.com

• I saw SnapStone mentioned in "Handy" magazine and was immediately excited about the product. I did some looking online and the VAST majority of the reaction from professionals or semi-professionals is very negative. To be fair, virtually all of these people had no personal experience with SnapStone. Most had experience with a product that had some similar features to SnapStone: Edge Tile. I can see that the comparison may not be appropriate because the backer material on the two products is very different.

So, I decided to read the warranty posted on the SnapStone web site, and I must say, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. It is limited to the plastic backing material only, not the tile itself. The complaints that I have seen with competing products relate to cracks in the tile, not failure of the backer material. My apprehension about installing SnapStone concerns tile cracking post installation, which the warranty does not address.

SnapStone's "Product Performance" web page says: "SnapStone is backed by a 10-year limited warranty. Try getting that on a traditional tile installation!" This comment seems to be a little disingenuous because SnapStone's warranty is limited to a portion of their product that simply doesn't exist in a traditional tile installation.

My question is: what is the real value of SnapStone's warranty to the typical end user? If the backer material fails, it will be replaced - the backer material will be replaced, not the tile. Yet the backer material is useless to the consumer without the tile and if the backer material fails, the tile will almost certainly fail. Even if the tile doesn't fail, I suspect there is virtually no way to remove a failed SnapStone tile, separate the tile from the backer material, install the tile on a new backer, and then reinstall the tile.

I am still interested in SnapStone and am leaning toward giving it a try. In fact, I intend to post another topic in this forum regarding installation. I can understand why merchants would want to market that their product is warranted, because warranties tend to reassure potential customers that the product is a quality product. SnapStone's limited warranty is so limited, however, that it seems to be roughly equivalent to having no warranty at all.

SnapStone reply:
    Thank you for your comments.

We have looked around extensively on the web for comments on SnapStone. Most - if not all of the comments - are from people who have confused SnapStone with Edge. I won't go into detail the differences between Edge and SnapStone in this public forum, but we believe and have been told they are substantial. Send me an email and I will give you my comparative analysis.

There was an early prototype version of SnapStone available in 2004 that saw very limited distribution. But that version was discountinued in early 2005, completely re-engineered, and brought back to market in the middle of 2006. While the original prototype SnapStone was a decent product, significant improvements were made between 2004 and 2006.

We have sold tens of thousands of square feet of SnapStone since July, 2006, and we do not have a single complaint of broken tile (or frankly any other customer complaints). Our customers love SnapStone. Not to say we will never have a complaint - that would be unrealistic.

Regarding your question on the warranty - as you know, there is NO warranty on traditional tile. If it cracks, you must replace it. The fact is, if you drop something heavy on either traditional tile or SnapStone, there is a reasonable probabiity it will break (it will be much easier to replace the SnapStone tile using the replacement process - the entire tray/tile assmembly is replaced, not just the tile portion). The 10 year warranty is to assure our customers that the tray and the adhesive between the tray and the tile are designed to last. Also, the tile we use is a minimum of 9.0 mm thick. As you may know, a tile's structural strength increases more than linearly with thickness. It is significantly stronger than the nominal 7.5 mm thick tile found at most retailers.

Shoot me an email and I will send you a video clip of the Robinson Test showing a SnapStone floor being abused by 900 pounds of rolling weight. While it is a test, it should give you better confidence in the system. It really does work!!

A. Clark:
    A video clip of SnapStone being tested.

Can I get a the video clip....
  • We had snap stone installed over durarock last October by a professional installer. And we have had several tiles crack over the past couple months. Some are cracking where there is no possibility of anything falling on the tile. Any suggestions as to why? And, will this continue? Thank you.
  • We're sorry to hear of your cracked tiles.

Tiles may crack for a variety of reasons. A cracked tile could have been installed with damage that occurred during the shipping process or from being mishandled or dropped in the store. Impact cracking is a result of dropping an item on the floor. An impact crack is easy to identify due to the spidering nature of the cracking. Cracking can also occur as a result of deflection (movement) in the subfloor, or a hump, dip or bump in the subfloor that exceeds the floor tolerance requirement. If a damaged tile was installed, the repair process will be all that's needed. If there is a subfloor issue, replacement tiles may continue to crack until the subfloor problem is addressed.

If you would like to send us a picture of some of the cracked tiles to info@snapstone.net, we'd be happy to take a look and see if we can identify the cause. We recommend following the repair/replacement instructions on our website. There is also a video clip of the process. Since you had an installer put in your floor, check to see if repairs are included in his services.

We look forward to receiving your email and helping diagnose the cause of the cracking.

• We have had our snapstone tile in our kitchen for under 18 months and have become very disappointed. We have 5 tiles that have cracked and in random locations. The subfloor is smooth with no bumps and was sanded and is sound. After reading the past comments and warranty responses, it leaves us with a sense of dread. Not afraid to replace these tiles but if the problem persists, how do we know it is not a bad lot of tiles.
  • We're sorry to hear you have some cracked tiles and understand your frustration.

Tile floors are a beautiful hard surface to add to your home. However, because they are a stone product, they are subject to cracking, chipping and breaking, which is why cracking is not included in any tile manufacturers warranty. Cracking is inherent with all tile products--whether it's traditionally installed or a SnapStone installation. Random cracking is typically a symptom of impact cracks (where items were dropped on the floor), tiles with existing cracks that were installed, but the damage was not noticed at the time of installation, or both. If you used a straight-edge on your sub floor before installation and determined that your sub floor met the floor tolerance(flatness) requirements and it also meets deflection requirements, then it is probably one or a combination of, impact and previously damaged tiles. If either of those two causes are the source of your cracking, then your repairs will be the end of it. The tolerance requirement can be found in our installation instructions, which is available on this link to our website: http://www.snapstone.com/instructions.html

A unique feature to SnapStone is the simplified repair process, compared to a traditionally installed tile floor. With SnapStone, a single tile can be replaced and re-grouted. The urethane based grout allows new grout to adhere to the existing grout lines. If you do not have left over tiles or grout for your repairs, please give us a call at 877-263-5861, provide the tile and grout color, and we'll be happy to provide complimentary replacement product for your repairs. Thank you.
  • I feel everyone's pain with the cracked tiles. We have several throughout the floor in various places. We have tile flooring (not Snap Stone) installed in our basement and not one tile has cracked? What is the difference?? I just don't get it. Very upset customer!
  • We're sorry to hear you have some cracked tiles. Unfortunately, tiles can crack--whether they are traditionally installed or a SnapStone floor. There are many reasons why a tile may crack: subfloor issues, deflection, impact-related, installing a damaged tile, etc. SnapStone has a simplified repair process, compared to traditionally installed tile. Please call our business office at 877-263-5861 and we would be happy to help with your repairs.