Return to SnapStone.com

final cleaning
  • Author: brad
    Date: 3/26/2010 3:51 pm EDT
    So, I am trying to do a final cleaning of the floor and I am running into a problem. I have discoverd that I had left some grout particles on a few of the tiles during the grouting process. As I run my hand across the floor, I can feel several places on the floor where there are rough spots from the grout particles. I checked the instructions and went to Menards to get some Krud Kutter.

Following the instructions, I lightly sprayed some Krud Kutter on the affected tile and leave it sit for a few minutes. I then began wiping up the tile and I noticed that a white, gummy substance came up off the tile along with the grout particles. I then used warm water to wipe the tile clean and dried it with a towel. After the tile dried, the shiny finish on the tile is gone, leaving a flat, matte appearance to the tile. I thought maybe that it was something to do with the grout leftovers (i.e. streaking), but, the tiles with no grout particles look like they did right out of the package: shiny and smooth. Upon closer inspection of the affected tiles, it looks as if the cleaner removed the finish from the tiles because I can see where the cleaner removed the finish and where it did not. The affected tiles also have a finish that now feels like a sheet of paper as opposed to how they felt out of the box.

Any help on this or will I have to remove the affected tiles? Did I do this right or did the cleaner remove the finish?
  • Author: Christ ina
    Date: 3/28/2010 3:42 pm EDT
    I am having the very same problem, although I havn't used Krud Kutter, I only used a soft cloth with water. I wiped down 6 tiles and they have a matte finish now. The substance that came off the tiles almost has the appearance of a plastic like Saran wrap but very thin. I called Menards and asked them if this tile come with a protective covering on them and they said no. I am almost afraid to contine wiping the tiles but you have to be able to clean it. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did they do?
  • Author: chris
    Date: 3/30/2010 9:36 am EDT
    The Saran wrap like film is the urethane residue. When it cures on the face of the tile it will look shiny instead of the matte finish that the tile is supposed to have. Krud Kutter will remove this shiny film and restore the tile to it's original matte finish.
    Remember when grouting, only grout a small area at a time and clean it as you go, otherwise you will get urethane residue drying on the face of the tile and the tile will appear shiny, but that film will wear off and the tile will look like there are scratches. It happens to me whenever I get in a huury when I'm grouting.Hope this helps
  • Author: bill
    Date: 4/1/2010 7:40 pm EDT
    I have the same problem. I have done the whole floor twice with Krud. I am sick of looking at it.

What color tile do you have? I have the dark one. I am beginning to think it is just the tile.

Any other suggestions???
  • Author: Jonathan
    Date: 4/2/2010 4:20 am EDT
    Bill,

Please give us a call to discuss at 402-505-7627. While weÂ’ve had some stubborn grout haze situations, weÂ’ve generally been able to help customers resolve them.

Where are you located? Where did you purchase the product? Did you use the SnapStone Flexible Urethane Grout?

WeÂ’re around from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Central on Friday.
  • Author: bill
    Date: 4/1/2010 7:41 pm EDT
    I have the same problem. I have done the whole floor twice with Krud. I am sick of looking at it.

What color tile do you have? I have the dark one. I am beginning to think it is just the tile.

Any other suggestions???
  • Author: chris
    Date: 3/29/2010 1:28 pm EDT
    Sounds like you did everything right. Krud Kutter can't remove the finish on the tile so I'm thinking there still may be a small amount of urethane residue left on the tile. I would try the process of cleaning with krud kutter again and that should get the last of the shiny urethane residue off the tile. Let me know how it goes. Thanks
  • Author: Christina
    Date: 4/6/2010 3:38 pm EDT
    Thanks for the responses! I went back to Menards and bought Krud Kutter Tough Task Remover (there was about 8 different types of Krud Kutter) and I also bought Scotch-Brite Delicate Duty sponges that have a white scratch pad on one side. I worked on each individual tile and sprayed the Krud Kutter on and then used the Scotch-Brite pads on the tile. I was able to get the residue off the tiles. I then followed up with clean water and a sponge and wiped the tile down. It was time consuming but got it done. I didn't realise that the tiles should have a matte finish so when I was cleaning them first and some of the tiles where matte and some nice and shiny I thought I had messed up. I actually liked the tiles being shiny. But now that the floor is all cleaned and has the same finish it looks great. I do think it might be helpful for other consumers if the people I had talked to at Mendards had known to recommend Krud Kutters. When I am back in the flooring department at Menards I think I will recommend that to the manager. Just might save someone else some grief. Thanks for this website and I do intend on buying SnapStone again for another room in my house.
    Date: 4/8/2010 9:54 am EDT
    Sorry for not responding sooner. I did basically the same thing that Christina did, but no scrub pad. I sprayed the tiles down with Krud Kutter and let it sit for 2-3 minutes and used a disposable shop towel to wipe it up. I then immediately used a damp sponge and cleaned the area to a perfect clean. I only did four tiles at a time and changed the water after a few four-tile sections. It's tedious, but, it's done and looks good. I had no matte finish, but, more of a satin finish. LOVE IT.
    -brad
    Date: 4/8/2010 10:02 am EDT
    Also, I found that it helps if you roll the towel as you wipe to keep using a clean surface rather than smearing it around as you wipe. Fold it over and do it again and then use a new towel after a few wipes. Like I said, I used the disposable shop towels-in-a-box and they worked great.
  • Author: Journeyman
    Date: 5/13/2010 11:51 am EDT
    For what it is worth...
    I can assure everyone that you can not rub the finish off of Snapstone porcelain tile. Nothing will remove the finish short of grinding the surface with an abrasive and of course there would never be a reason to do so.

The issue is grout residue. The very thing that makes the grout tuff and durable is the same thing causing the clean up issues people have.

You would do well to change your clean up water frequently and pay close attention to the clean up process.

Krud Kutter works to help the situation when hazing issues arise. The white scrubby pads will not abraid or abuse the tiles surface. In fact I use a white pad to clean the grout initially. I then use a damp sponge to wipe away the residue but the trick with the sponge is to rinse it out, wring it to a damp condition, then drag the sponge over the surface. Do this one time per side of sponge. After dragging both side ONE TIME rinse the sponge again. DO NOT wipe and swirl scrub and rub the tile. Simply drag the clean sponge one time per side, then rinse the sponge. Drag the sponge no more than the length of maybe two tiles, turn it over, drag it across anther two tiles distance then rinse. I would change the water about every fifty square feet.
  • I used kkrud Kutter to get off and grout residue as they show on the video.well I too have a matte finish and am extremely disappointed.
  • Grout haze is a shiny grout residue that remains on the surface of the tile after installation. Krud Kutter removes the residue but does not affect the original tile finish. The actual finish of the tile is a matte finish, which is not shiny, and is the original finish in the package.