Return to SnapStone.com

Grout failure
  • Author: Stephanie
    Date: 5/8/2010 9:52 pm EDT
    We just installed the snapstone system and within 2 days (after letting it set for 24hrs) our grout is cracking and coming right out in strips. Any idea why?
  • Author: Jackie
    Date: 5/10/2010 10:44 am EDT
    I am thinking about putting this down in my kitchen but I do know it takes a special flexable grout are you sure they sold you the right grout? Let me know what you find out.
  • Author: Chris
    Date: 5/10/2010 1:49 pm EDT
    I've used the urethane grout for years on SnapStone and tradtional tile and haven't had this type of problem yet.

SnapStone reply:
    When you grouted the tile did you add any water to the grout?

I know this sounds basic, but did you use the flexible urethane grout designed to be used with SnapStone? I have to ask because I have seen this type of grout failure when traditional cement based grouts are used.

Chris
    This is a new one for me, so if you can think of anything that may help determine what might have happened, please let me know. I'm very curious.
  • Author: Jackie
    Date: 5/10/2010 4:03 pm EDT
    I am getting ready to remodel my kitchen and have planded to use this SnapStone. My house is an old home with a basement and the floors are old hard wood. Is my kitchen a good candidate for this type of floor? and should I put the cement board down before I lay the SnapStone?
  • Author: Chris
    Date: 5/11/2010 10:56 am EDT
    Old hardwood floors are suitable for SnapStone as long as they are flat within 1/4"-10' or 1/8"-6'. Usually with older homes some floor prep is needed, but cement board isn't required. Let me know if you have floor prep questions.