Return to SnapStone.com

Thinset
  • Author: Cate
    Date: 6/3/2010 11:37 am EDT
    We are putting radiant heat under our snapstone. Quiet Warmth does not appear to be available here in Canada, so we are going with a type of radiant heat that needs to be placed in thinset. So here's my question: does the thinset have to be smooth? or can it stay with the notch lines as you get with traditional tile setting?
  • Author: Chris
    Date: 6/3/2010 3:09 pm EDT
    SnapStone is fine to install over any radiant heat system as long as it operates under 85 degrees.
    When installaing the systems that require the wires to be encapsulated in thinset, just use the flat side of the trowell and smooth the trowell notches flat.
  • Author: Chris
    Date: 6/4/2010 11:58 am EDT
    Cate,

If you're heating system doesn't require using thinset to cover the wires. A self leveling mortar will be easier to get the floor smooth and flat rather than trying to smooth out thinset with a trowell, you don't want to go over the thinset with the trowell notches showing. It's very important that the floor is flat within tolerance (1/4"-10' or 1/8"-6')so the floor performs properly.
    I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.
  • Author: Cate
    Date: 6/4/2010 1:49 pm EDT
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for this. We were going to do the self-leveling mortar, but the tile guy at HD said that since we have an OSB strand subfloor, that self-leveling won't work on it. I'd rather do the self-levelling for the very concern that you've stated. Do you think self levelling mortar would work in this situation?